EXPERIENCED OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Located and established in Virginia Beach since 1995, Stephen Merritt CPA, P.C., is dedicated to providing tax preparation and accounting services for small to medium-sized businesses as well as their owners and families throughout the Hampton Roads area. It is our goal to maintain a strong relationship with our clients. We attribute our firm’s current growth to client referrals which only occurs because our top priority is client satisfaction.
This is NOT an entry level position. Applicants MUST have prior administrative/clerical experience. Minimal training provided.
Small public accounting firm. Hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Schedule and coordinate meetings for partners
- Work closely with firm accountants utilizing strong communication and organization skills
- Must balance multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced deadline-oriented environment following firm standard operating procedures
- Provide day to day administrative support to partners
- Draft and proof engagement letters to clients
- Process, assemble and send correspondence, tax returns and financial statements to clients
- Greet clients in a friendly and professional manner, answer telephone, take messages and respond to general questions
- Manage mail with attention to due dates and actions required
- Produce a variety of materials including but not limited to letters, memoranda and reports
- Provide reception and office services which includes but is not limited to sorting mail, maintenance of electronic and hard copy filing system, maintaining general office areas (kitchen, copy room, storage room), ordering supplies, arranging for repair and maintenance of office equipment
- Manage and monitor client portal, update and maintain accurate client information
- Work with partner to set up client billings, processes and mails client invoices
- Process accounts receivable and daily deposits as needed
- Prioritizes and works independently or with minimal supervision
- Facilitate supply orders to maintain a well-stocked and organized office
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and handle multiple projects/tasks with strong attention to detail
- Advanced computer skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat. Ability to learn software quickly.
- Ability to operate scanner, copier and printers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Possesses superior customer service skills. Displays independent judgment and diplomacy skills
- Strong verification skills. Ability to review one’s own work. Accuracy is essential.
- Must be punctual, reliable and maintain a professional demeanor and appearance.
- Confidentiality must be maintained at all times
- MUST love dogs. The mayor is in residence everyday.
Job Title: Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Public accounting firm located in Virginia Beach, VA is in search of a CPA for a SEASONAL, PART-TIME OR FULL TIME position, depending on the candidate. CPA must be able to multi-task and possess exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Prior public accounting experience is required.
Stephen Merritt, CPA, PC is NOT your typical CPA firm! Clients are always commenting how fun it would be to work here, and that’s because we value our staff’s ideas; we offer professional development programs; and we place a high priority on an ideal work/life balance (no take-home work!). We also LOVE to laugh and eat good food. We are a close-knit group, so a candidate must be able to integrate into our office environment. Candidate must also love dogs! Louis, our mascot, comes in to work every day.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, and document business transactions.
- Establish, maintain, and coordinate the implementation of accounting and accounting control procedures.
- Monitor and review accounting and related system reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Prepare and review budget, revenue, expense, payroll entries, invoices, and other accounting documents.
- Analyze revenue and expenditure trends and recommend appropriate budget levels and ensure expenditure control.
- Resolve accounting discrepancies.
- Tax Return Preparation 990, 1040, 1041, 1120S, and 1065.
- Audits, reviews, compilations.
- Interact with internal and external auditors in completing audits.
- Meet and establish relationships with new and existing clients
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years of experience in public accounting.
- CPA Certification with extensive tax preparation experience
- Detail oriented
- Hold an accounting degree or equivalent
Successful candidates must demonstrate EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION and analytical skills coupled with proficiency in Quickbooks, Microsoft Excel and Word, as well as tax preparation software. In addition, an ability to work independently or as part of a team and the capacity to appropriately interact with all levels of Firm management and staff, clients and other external business contacts are required.
Full, part-time, or flexible schedules are available. We are proud to offer competitive compensation based on candidate’s experience.
Fax: (757) 420-5381
Health/dental benefits available.
Our office is a smoke-free environment
Candidates are preferred to be a Hampton Roads Southside resident as we are a Virginia Beach Office, and punctuality is an expectation.
Only serious inquiries need to send resume.